Safe And Sober

Safe And Sober

3 Hour Alcohol and Drugs for people with an out of country license.

If you’ve never been licensed in the U.S., or anywhere else, you must complete a 3-hour drug & alcohol awareness course

Who needs to take this course?
The 3 hour Safe & Sober class is for individuals presently holding. A license from a foreign country and wish to obtain a Maryland Driver’s License.
How long is this Class?
The class is only 3 hrs.
When can I take this class?
This class is offered on Saturdays only from 1:00 P.M. to 4:00 P.M.
What do I need to bring with me?
You need to bring an Identification with your picture and $50.00 cash.
Does this certificate have an expiration date?
Yes, your certificate of completion will be valid 1 year from the date it was issued.
What happens if my certificate of completion has expired, destroyed, lost, or mutilated and I have not yet completed the process to get my Maryland Driver License?
If your certificate of completion has expired, destroyed, lost, or mutilated you will then need to re-take the Safe & Sober classes all over again at your own expense. Certificate cannot be re-issued without taking the classes again.

Exchanging an Out-of-Country License for a Maryland License

Bring the following to the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration:

Proof of age/identity, lawful presence, verifiable social security number or proof of ineligibility.

Maryland residence, Out-of-Country license(s), and the appropriate fee for each license for which you apply. Please refer to Sources of Proof for required documentation.

You must pass a vision test, knowledge test, and driving test.

An Out-of-Country license may be valid or expired. The license cannot be suspended.

If licensed for less than 18 months, you will be issued a Maryland Provisional License.

If you have never been licensed in the U.S., you must complete a 3-Hour Drug & Alcohol.

Education Program (Safe & Sober: A Guide to Driving in Maryland.)

A valid U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) physical card or federal/MVA waiver (if applying for a Commercial Driver’s License) is needed.

An Out-of-Country license may be required to be accompanied by an international driver's license or translated into English by an approved MVA translator.

If you are from Out-of-Country, and have never held a license, you must obtain a learner’s permit.

Please visit the Maryland MVA website for additional information.

Register for Safe & Sober (onLine form)